Monday, February 24, 2014

A Goal Without A Plan is Just a Wish!


Goal Setting

Setting a goal provides you with the incentive and motivation you will need to stay the course for the task at hand.  When I first started my entrepreneurial adventure my goals were S. M. A. R. T. By following the 
S. M. A. R. T. goal setting idealology from the start my odds of success were increased.  

S. M. A. R. T. goals are:

S. Specific
M. Measurable
A. Attainable
R. Relevant
T. Time-Bound

One of the first goals for my business for to generate $3,750 per month by 8/17/10.
It was: 
Specific - Earn $3,750
Measurable - $3,750 by 8/7/10 (6 months after I launched my PTC  business)
Attainable - I had a strategy and plan which I developed to achieve this goal.  
Relevant - Of course my goal was relevant & critical to my own personal life plan.  
Time-Bound - I had a deadline that was set based upon the strategy I was implementing.  

Sometimes it can be quite difficult prioritizing your goals.  Often, we will have so many needs, wants, and desires it's overwhelming.  I realized I needed help so I turned to someone I trusted for assistance.  I turned to Zig Ziglar for inspiration.  Zig Ziglar has an excellent audio book called "Goals: Setting and Achieving Them on Schedule"  Zig Ziglar recommends that you spend at least 10 hours planning your goal, which is why on only 3% of the population has clearly defined objectives for their lives.  Zig's 5-step process will equip you with even more tools to become successful.  

Zig Ziglar's goal setting process:

  1. #1 Create your dream list. Let your imagination run wild and write down everything you want, desire, and wish for. EVERYTHING!
  2. Wait 24-48 hours!  Once the time is up consider "Why?" for each item on your dream list.  (If you can't HONESTLY express in a single sentence why cross this item off your list.  
  3. With the remaining items on the list ask yourself these 5 questions.  If you can't answer yes to these questions cross the item off your list.  It's more of a dream than a goal.    
    • Is this really "my" goal?
    • Is this morally right and fair for everyone concerned?
    • Is it consistent with my other goals?
    • Can I emotionally commit to completing this goal?
    • Can I truly see myself achieving my goal?
  4. With the remaining items on your list ask yourself these questions & if you can't answer yes to at least on of these questions cross it off the list.  
    • Will this goal make me happier?
    • Will this goal win me more friends?
    • Will this goal give me peace of mind?
    • Will this goal make me more secure?
    • Will this goal improve my relationship with others?
  5. Divide the remaining goals into 3 categories;
    • Short - less than 1 month 
    • Medium - 1 month -  1 year
    • Long - greater than 1 year
There should be a mix of big goals to help you grow to reach your full potential; long range to keep you focused; and small to keep you on task daily.  

No comments:

Post a Comment