|"Stop treating yourself as a victim of your past. Just be a confident survivor and you be able to handle anything.|
A victim mentality creates the illusion that part of your life is controlled by others, leaving you feeling powerless over situations.
Steps to regain control and power of your life and to stop being a victim:
1. Describe or focus on an event in your past good/bad.
2. Acknowledge how your decision/action affected this event.
3. If you were satisfied with the outcome reflect on this and take ownership of it. If you weren’t satisfied with the outcome take time to reflect on what actions (by you) resulted in an unfavorable outcome and what could be done differently in the future.
4. Learn from it. Whatever the outcome make sure you walk away with knowledge!
Not sure if you have a victim mindset? Here are a few questions to ask yourself;
1. Are a lot of your obstacles related to other people’s actions?
2. Are you unable to see the commonality in of yourself in your life?
3. Do you find it difficult to recover from unfavorable outcomes?
4. Are you holding on to anger/resentment against someone whom you believe has done some wrong to you?
5. Do outside influences/events constantly alter your direction?
So what to do about a victim mindset? Like most things, change the way you think! Stop seeing yourself as someone who is powerless. Remember nothing in life is happening to you, it’s happening because of you!