Monday, November 18, 2013

"All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas......." Shel Silverstein


I was an only child for 8 years, so I spent a great deal of time immersed in books.  My favorite was Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.  His stories were so silly to me.  
Reading was so important to me.  I had a very busy brain and books allowed an escape from the noise while improving my intellect (No, I didn't know that then).  I was a normal kid, quite social, athletic, fun loving but I was a bit "wired".  I was hyperactive, I had a ton of mental energy!  At the end of my day when I still required stimulation I would often cuddle up with a book and read.  I fell in love with the knowledge, the humor, the sadness, the hope, there was so much to love.  Books opened my imagination, and freed it to go anywhere.  Not just anywhere within the bounds of my imagination, but I could visit the imaginations of others through their words and the worlds they would create.  
Recently while listening to a Podcast and the speaker quoted Shel Silverstein.  “All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas....... starts a Poem by Shel Silverstein.    

"All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas" by Shel Silverstein

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' 'bout the things
They woulda coulda shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little Did. 

As a child it was just a silly little rhyme.  As an adult I realise the importance of the message he was trying to instill in such impressionable minds.  Often people fall into a mindset where they dwell on what they didn't do or what they should've done.  NEVER has intent produced results, so to dwell upon something that has no impact is a waste of effort.  We all know people whose entire lives revolve around what they should've done in life.  Or a decision they could've made differently.  Truth is, by focusing on what didn't occur they are able to avoid the reality of what things are.  You can become stuck thinking this way.  No longer are you making decisions and living in today, you're focusing your energy on yesterday and the day before.    

Break the Shoulda-Woulda-Coulda Thought Cycle

  • Focus on who/what you are NOW.  
  • Positive affirmations
  • Be Thankful
  • Do 1 small thing to begin creating the life you want.
  • Rid yourself of envy.
  • Except things for what they were/are.
  • Look within







1 comment: